Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cherry Blossoms, Dinosaurs, a Spyglass, and Our Family

Easter weekend
Michael and I
took the opportunity
to have us a little
Out and about.
We started out in Virginia
with a show and the next day
spent the most of the afternoon at Mount Vernon.

(Now, for those of you who don't know when you are getting a blog posting together , the first picture you "upload" will be the last picture this morning at 7:30 I started uploading and a half hours later I have quit before I got to Mt. Vernon..we will have to let that part of the trip come in a few days!)


Friday afternoon,

Michael and I arrive in Washington DC..

It was beautiful!!!

Remember, it's spring!!

It's Easter and it's the Cherry Blossom Festival!

We drive through headed to our hotel,

the Fairfax on Embassy Row.

Beautiful Cherry blossoms

cover the landscape!

We had a nice evening meal ...

then retiring to our room

for some rest and relaxation

before yet another day filled with

many sights to behold...

Somehow, somewhere the hotel room

pictures must have wound

up floating out in space

because this is where I "uploaded" them...

Oh, well that part doesn't really matter..

it was a four diamond

ultra nice hotel (Thank you, Michael!)

A nice fluffy robe was laid out on the bed,

adorned with the hotel crest...

But, this picture that follows is what


impressed me!

It must have ..

while preparations were under way to wash off some of

the days accumulated git and grime..

what should I spy on the shower wall?

I quickly turned and exited the bathroom..
to retrieve the camera!

ANYONE, with children or elderly

in the house needs a faucet such as this!

I don't know if I am behind the times

but, all in all,

I was impressed!

Now, aren't you kind of surprised

I didn't

take a picture of the phone by

the toilet?

The next morning,

dawned early and bright..

We prepared ourselves for a day of sight seeing..

Leaving the hotel, we walked a couple of blocks past several

ornate embassy buildings to DuPont Circle...

We spied the Metro and headed toward it

for a quick trip down to the National Mall

and the Smithsonian's.. we drew closer,

what should catch our eye

but the bright red neon of

promised ,warm, glazed southern confections!!


While preparing to board the train

our phones rang...

so after departure and assent to the street

we took a moment to return the calls.

then we were on our way
to the National Mall.

Building of the Washington monument
began in the year 1848..
however, due to lack of funds, and other
intervening circumstances..
such as the
War between the states..
there was a hiatus in the construction
for some forty years..
causing the apparent color shift some 150 feet up,
(even though rock came from the same quarry)
and a new law in Washington D.C.
proclaiming no construction on any monuments to
begin until all funds where obtained.
(can you see the color difference?)

And around to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History..

Now, for those who have not been, yet plan to go..

when picking out which Smithsonian to visit..

I would highly suggest no more than ONE a day..

They are not only big,


they are packed so full of

sights and educational info

one a day is quite enough..

In 1826, James Smithson, a British scientist, drew up his last will and testament, naming his nephew as beneficiary. Smithson stipulated that, should the nephew die without heirs (as he would in 1835), the estate should go “to the United States of America, to found at Washington, under the name of the Smithsonian Institution, an establishment for the increase and diffusion of knowledge among men.”

The motives behind Smithson’s bequest remain mysterious. He never traveled to the United States and seems to have had no correspondence with anyone here. Some have suggested that his bequest was motivated in part by revenge against the rigidities of British society, which had denied Smithson, who was illegitimate, the right to use his father’s name. Others have suggested it reflected his interest in the Enlightenment ideals of democracy and universal education.

Smithson died in 1829, and six years later, President Andrew Jackson announced the bequest to Congress. On July 1, 1836, Congress accepted the legacy bequeathed to the nation and pledged the faith of the United States to the charitable trust. In September 1838, Smithson’s legacy, which amounted to more than 100,000 gold sovereigns, was delivered to the mint at Philadelphia. Recoined in U.S. currency, the gift amounted to more than $500,000.

After eight years of sometimes heated debate, an Act of Congress signed by President James K. Polk on Aug. 10, 1846, established the Smithsonian Institution as a trust to be administered by a Board of Regents and a Secretary of the Smithsonian.


When we exited the museum

it was well past time for lunch ...

even though I had worn..

some good walking shoes the old dogs

were barking.

Our plans had been to have our mid-day

repast at the union station'

same as last year...


we had an idea on and off trolley tour..

right to the station..
then a pick up

out front..

I do enjoy the trolley tours

Union Station is the grand ceremonial train station designed to be the entrance to Washington, D.C., when it opened in 1908.

It is one of the busiest and best-known places in Washington, D.C., visited by 32 million people each year. The terminal is served by Amtrak, MARC and VRE commuter railroads, and the Washington Metro transit system of buses and subway trains. The facility serves as the headquarters of Amtrak.

Union station boast over one hundred shops and restaraunts

The White House prepares for
the annual Easter egg hunt
(would that be the natioal egg party?)
"I regret that I have but one life to give for my country"
Patrick Henry
National Archives

National hot dog stand?


Fresh handmade noodles daily
The ornate arch spanning the street
was presented to
America from the Peoples Republic of China
From Bejing to Washington,D.C.
one capital city to another

On the evening of April 14, 1865, while attending a special performance of the comedy, "Our American Cousin," President Abraham Lincoln was shot. Accompanying him at Ford's Theater that night were his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, a twenty-eight year-old officer named Major Henry R. Rathbone, and Rathbone's fiancee, Clara Harris. After the play was in progress, a figure with a drawn derringer pistol stepped into the presidential box, aimed, and fired. The president slumped forward.

The assassin, John Wilkes Booth, dropped the pistol and waved a dagger. Rathbone lunged at him, and though slashed in the arm, forced the killer to the railing. Booth leapt from the balcony and caught the spur of his left boot on a flag draped over the rail, and shattered a bone in his leg on landing. Though injured, he rushed out the back door, and disappeared into the night on horseback.

A doctor in the audience immediately went upstairs to the box. The bullet had entered through Lincoln's left ear and lodged behind his right eye. He was paralyzed and barely breathing. He was carried across Tenth Street, to a boarding-house opposite the theater, but the doctors' best efforts failed. Nine hours later, at 7:22 AM on April 15th, Lincoln died.

Petersen boarding house

The Mayflower hotel,
very interesting history!

That evening we dined at
"The Jockey Club"...
Google it when you have time..
read the history and be sure and
drool over the menu...
I partook of the
Pomergranate Glazed Duck!!!
With the first bite...
my eyes did a double back flip in my head
and until today just thinking about
that wonderful meal
brings on the threat of petit mal sezures!
Sunday morning we head back south,
back to Virginia

leaving Washington behind
driving through Manassas
(a stop for another time)

We pick up Carrie and join
Bill, Felice, Michael & Big Bill
at Rosa's for an Easter feast..

Michael enjoyed his new spy glass from Mt. Vernon
Michael tells his Papa all about his troubles.
He does not want to stay at school
(daycare) while his Mommy works..
he wants to go home and play!

Papa listens carefully as Michael relates his woes
Papa explains to Michael,
how he has to go to school so he will be safe while
his Mommy is at work,
that we all
(Mommy, Baba, Grandpa, Aunt Carrie, Uncle Joe,
Gamma and Papa)
love him very much and
if there ever came a time he needed us..
at least one if not all of us would be there for him.

A loving tender moment
After we enjoyed our meal and the good company
it was time to get back on the road.
Carrie joined us for a week
and then the next Sunday
a quick trip back
to Virginia.

This time The Hall family
met us downtown
at Millers for a bite to eat.

When we first arrived they
already had a table..
and Michael was cutting some Z's
in his stroller.

Michael wakes up for cheese stick appetizers
However, he decides he only wants
the "stick" (crust)
Sharring with his Aunt Carrie..
he gives her the "inside" cheese.

On the mall.

Our Children.
Michael and I head back...
Tomorrow will dawn early.
Post script: For some reason the blogger this posting has been on a vexing
champain...first taking an exteremly long time uploading pictures to loosing all my typing not once but, three times..
So please overlook the fact that the whole first week end is not here..I will get around to posting Mount Vernon..(It was my faveorite site seeing event of the week-end) and I appologize for not replacing all the information about the sites in Washington this last time..for the life of me I can't remember which President ate tuna salad sandwiches every day for years in the Mayflower hotel and I also can't remember which one termed the phrase "lobbiest" at the same hotel...
so please do "google" some of the sites , if you are at all interested...
It is a very interesting town with a Very interesting history
and after all it is
"Our" town.
Mount Vernon next time.

No comments: