Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pear Pie, Red Berries & L.L.Bean










Happy Birthday



to those we love



born in



November!



Hersel Goodman



Molley Biddle



Christopher Ryan



Eric Pemberton



Rhonda Biddle Poe



Mark Poe



Randall Slaten



Laura Biddle







?Zachary Noah Slaten?



(maybe?)















The Little Emperor



is sick this week..



with a communicable disease



brought to day care by



another little one...



Bless his sweet heart..



he feels pretty bad...



We hope he feels better real



quick!






Mondays are wash days , around here, this week



the laundry seemed to seep over into Tuesday.



After two loads of clothes ,



I felt the "need" to get



out and about!







The cloudy grey skies have been



contributing to a pretty good case of the



doldrums!







Monday ,



while a load of dark colors



became a drudgery ,



I was enlightened ...



I was so tickled with myself



I almost became giddy!



I had seen some very pretty Red berries



on the road side in Rye..



Up the stairs I ran,



to prepare..



dressed in jeans and some sturdy shoes,



a long sleeve and make-up*



*(this being very important



in case the Rye police took offense



of my berry pilfering..



I would not look like just any derelict ,



in my mug shot on the



evening news!)



With garden gloves in hand,



I could not find the snips



so I had to take the big "loppers"



Michael uses to prune TREES..



but, they went into the



back of the



granny van



accompanied by a five gallon bucket..



so began my day away



from the laundry!











Unable to find a good place to pull the van



while berry napping,



and wondering if Michael would pay my bail!



I decide that a trip to "Michaels"



would yield red berries of



the fake geneses..



Upon emerging from the local



craft emporium...



not, only did I find the clouds had



broken up...



but, a round of "Retail therapy"



had worked its magic!



So I was smiling all the way back to the house,



with a quick detour by the local



Wally-Super-World..



(just for good measure)..

Smiling




with Michael's




in the rear view mirrorPortsmouth pigeon




(seagull)
















Pear Pie




The other week I saw this recipe in in a magazine




not only did it turn out to taste very good




but it was easy too!





2/3c all-purpose flour




1/2c granulated sugar




1/2t ground cinnamon




1/8t salt




3T lemon juice




6 medium firm pears*




peeled , cored and sliced lengthwise into




1/2 inch wedges




(* next time I will use 8 pears)




pie crust




cooking spray




1/3c light brown sugar




3T chilled butter,




cut into small pieces








Preheat oven: 375








Combine 1/3c flour, granulated sugar,cinnamon & salt




in a large bowl.




Add juice and pears to flour mixture;




toss gently to coat.








Spray pie plate with cooking spray.




Fit with rolled pie crust and flute edges.




Arrange pears evenly in crust.




Combine remaining 1/3c flour ,




1/3c brown sugar




in a bowl




cut in cold butter,




with pastry blender, two knives,




or




food processor




until mixture resembles coarse meal.




Sprinkle evenly over pears.




Bake at 375 for one hour




or until browned.




Let cool on wire rack




10 minutes.
























Today,




the rest of the laundry was still waiting..




A pot of Gumbo




was assembled




for




Michael and his "RJ Griffin"cohorts




to have for




lunch tomorrow




...the high will not get out of the 40s...




..they could use a little warmth..




It seems so cold to me..




yet, I know that in time to come I




will look back and contemplate this "balmy"




tropical weather!








Anyway, I regress..after all was said and done..




The washing , the cooking, a little cleaning




& a warm bubble bath..








Boo-Boo




came and said..




"Don't you think its about time to work on the blog?"









"I will even quit this daydreaming of running through




the grass , of chasing chipmunks and birds..








and go be your



Secretary...for awhile"









Driving back through Rye..



















New Hampshire is the



"Granite State"



everywhere you look



granite fences enclose property lines







Large granite rocks and boulders



in the yards and fields
























Some of the fence around our place on



Love Lane





almost all the color is gone





but, a little hangs on















Last Sunday,



we had brunch at the house..



I had found some good looking



cinnamon raisin bread



made by a company



called



"When Pigs Fly"



so



we had french toast.



Then we headed north into Maine



toward Freeport



and the flagship store



for



LL Bean.





Michael drove up I-95








We were enjoying the first sunny day in



many days...



...mmmmm...



some pretty big clouds



the trees along right-of-way



are pretty naked















they do like to take your change...










...coming into Portland..













































draw bridge




















as we drove up the nations highways and by ways..



I as usual was just "rattling"



Talking about this and that..



just basking in Michaels company...when out of the clear blue he says



"Foul Mouth"






Well, needless to say I immediately shut up!



And with much bewilderment contemplated what



I had just said....



and to my knowledge I could think of nothing



I had utered that would have been



construed as foul...



unless...maybe I had been stricken with



Tourettees syndrome



and one of the symptoms was not only



did you scream out foul



obscenities



but, you also immediately forgot



you had done it...



Then ,to my relief , Michael



pointed out the reason for



his statement..
Whee..no Tourettees....













Arriving in



Freeport


























Since we got north of the Mason Dixon line



I have been told Moose



are all around..



I have seen the road signs..



I have heard of wrecks involving them



on the news...



Chloe seems to think they are in the woods behind the



house..






and then after all my waiting



and looking...






a Mangy Moose...




In a town built for shopping



we did a



little..







and then on our way out of town...










We drove out of town south on U.S. 1



through some neat towns..



till we came to



Kennebunkport



where we stopped for a very good supper.


























































can you believe its only 3:30?







I would not like having to



"tote"



my groceries to the top floor!





Work is calling...it never fails...




Michael was interested in the



Trolley Museum
We enjoyed our meal.




Miss Bo-Bo welcomes Michael home

she tells all about her day!

Boo tries out Chloes spot



and Chloe is glad we are home
again,
as are we.

No comments: